With a philosophy of community oriented policing, the Department recognizes the contribution volunteers can make and encourages the involvement of volunteers at all levels and in all appropriate activities.
The mission of the Volunteer Program has two components. The Department will provide a rewarding experience to citizens with a desire to share their time and talents to better their community. Volunteers are furnished with Worker’ Compensation Insurance while on duty Secondly, the program will provide, through the use of volunteers, quality and cost-effective delivery of services which further the mission of the department to improve the quality of life in our city.
In 2006, 52 different volunteers contributed a total of 9,136 hours to augment the services the Police Department provides the citizens of Prescott. When calculated at entry level salaries for the areas in which they work, these hours are equivalent to $144,348.80 in added value to the city.
Prescott Police Department currently has 52 volunteers working in the following areas:
- 22 – Citizens on Patrol
- 10 – Audio Visual
- 07 – Investigations
- 05 – Records
- 05 – Cold Case
- 02 – Animal Control
- 01 – Traffic Section
The Department exists to provide the highest quality services to Prescott residents. Volunteers must project a positive image and meet the following criteria:
- Be at least 21 years of age and have good health.
- Have no felony convictions, or misdemeanors involving morale turpitude.
- Some positions require possession of valid AZ Driver’s License; possess an acceptable driving record, without criminal traffic violations within the last three years.
- Be available for contact by phone.
- Successfully pass a background check. The extent may vary depending on the assignment.
- Be able to donate at least 4 hours a week or 16 hours in a month.
- Practice good hygiene while on the job.
- Refrain from the use of tobacco and alcohol while on duty.
If you are currently serving with the Citizen’s on Patrol, you can access the COP Manual here. (this is a password protected file)