Right of Way Permits
A permit is required whenever work is performed within any public street, highway, alley, sidewalk or other platted or written easement, otherwise known as the “right-of-way”, which has been dedicated to, or accepted by, or acquired by, the City for public purposes. Examples of work include, but are not limited to, all improvements and tie-ins to City streets, driveways, sidewalks, drainage culvert and infrastructure, water, sewer and dry utilities.
A paper or electronic application for a Right-of-Way permit should be completed and submitted to the Permit Center at City Hall, 201 S. Cortez St. Information needed for the application includes:
- The type of work to be performed (utility cut, driveway apron, curb replacement, etc.)
- When the work will be done (some work may take several days)
- Who will be performing the work (in most cases a licensed and bonded contractor is required with proper credentials held with the registrar of contractors) the contractor’s license number
- Where the work is to be done in relation to the ROW (behind curb, across the entire roadway, etc.).
- A Traffic Control Plan (in conformance with the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices) must be submitted with the permit application. Sample “Traffic Control Plans” are available for use by clicking the links below, when they have been modified to represent the existing conditions of the proposed permit.
24- hours prior to the start of work, an inspection must be scheduled with the Public Works Department by calling the Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system.
Both the paper and electronic Application Forms are available here. Please allow 3-5 business days for processing. There is a $50 fee for the issuance of all Right-of-Way permits. Other fees may apply depending on the extent of the work. E.g. grading, sewer tap, water tap, etc.
All work in the right-of-way shall be built to Prescott City Code, Title 17, General Engineering Standards (GES)
Sample traffic control plans from the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) are listed below and may be used for a City Right of Way permit application.
MUTCD TA Index
MUTCD TA 1 Beyond Shoulder
MUTCD TA 3 Work on Shoulders
MUTCD TA 4 Short Duration on Shoulder
MUTCD TA 6 Shoulder Work Minor Encroachment
MUTCD TA 10 One Lane with Flaggers
MUTCD TA 11 One Lane without Flaggers
MUTCD TA 13 Temp Road Closure
MUTCD TA 15 Center of Local Street
MUTCD TA 14 Haul Road Crossing
MUTCD TA 16 Survey in Center of Local
MUTCD TA 17 Mobile Operation on Local
MUTCD TA 18 Lane Closure Local
MUTCD TA 20 Detour Closed Local
MUTCD TA 28 Crosswalk Detour or Diversion
MUTCD TA 29 Crosswalk Closure and Pedestrian Detour