National Soccer Tournament To Be Held In Prescott
For the first time ever, the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Men's Soccer national tournament will be held in Prescott and Prescott Valley.
The 12-team tournament – the 53rd since 1961 – opens on Tuesday, Nov. 18, with two games apiece at Prescott's Ken Lindley Field and Prescott Valley's Mountain Valley Park.
"The City is pleased and honored to be partnering with Yavapai College to bring this prestigious tournament to Prescott," said Joe Baynes, Prescott Recreation Services Director.
To get Ken Lindley Field in shape for the tournament, the infield, which is normally dirt for softball games, was sodded by city workers.
The national championship is scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 23, at Lindley. Kickoff will be at 3 p.m.
The 12 qualifying teams, with seeds in parentheses are:
(1) Iowa Western – Great Lakes Champion
(2) Illinois Central – Central Champion
(3) Louisburg (N.C.) – Southeast Champions
(4) Tyler (Texas) – South Champion
(5) Pima – West Champions
(6) Northeast Texas – South Runner-up
(7) Trinidad State (Colo.) – West Runner-up
(8) Schoolcraft (Mich.) – North Central Co-Champion
(9) CCBC-Essex (Md.) – North Central Co-Champions
(10) Monroe (N.Y.) – Northeast Champions
(11) Hill (Texas) – Plains Champion
(12) Coffeyville (Kan.) – Plains Runner-up
Pima's first game in the 2014 national tournament will be Nov. 19 against CCBC Essex at 5 p.m. at Lindley Field.