Right of Way Permits

A permit is required whenever work is performed within any public street, highway, alley, sidewalk or other platted or written easement, otherwise known as the “right-of-way”, which has been dedicated to, or accepted by, or acquired by, the City for public purposes. Examples of work include, but are not limited to, all improvements and tie-ins to City streets, driveways, sidewalks, drainage culvert and infrastructure, water, sewer and dry utilities.

An electronic application for a Right-of-Way Permit should be completed online at http://www.PrescottPermits.com.  

Information needed for the application includes:

  1. The type of work to be performed (utility cut, driveway apron, curb replacement, etc.)
  2. When the work will be done (some work may take several days)
  3. Who will be performing the work (in most cases a licensed and bonded contractor is required with proper credentials held with the registrar of contractors) the contractor’s license number
  4. Where the work is to be done in relation to the ROW (behind curb, across the entire roadway, etc.).
  5. A Traffic Control Plan (in conformance with the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices) must be submitted with the permit application.  Sample “Traffic Control Plans” are available for use by clicking the links below, under Documents, when they have been modified to represent the existing conditions of the proposed permit.

24 hours prior to the start of work, an inspection must be scheduled with the Public Works Department, online at http://www.PrescottPermits.com.

Please allow 3-5 business days for processing.  There is a $50 fee for the issuance of all Right-of-Way Permits.  Other fees may apply depending on the extent of the work.  E.g. grading, sewer tap, water tap, etc.

All work in the right-of-way shall be built to Prescott City Code, Title 17, General Engineering Standards (GES)


Sample traffic control plans from the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) are listed below and may be used for a City Right of Way permit application.

MUTCD Manual

MUTCD TA 1 Beyond Shoulder
MUTCD TA 3 Work on Shoulders
MUTCD TA 4 Short Duration on Shoulder
MUTCD TA 6 Shoulder Work Minor Encroachment
MUTCD TA 10 One Lane with Flaggers
MUTCD TA 11 One Lane without Flaggers
MUTCD TA 13 Temp Road Closure
MUTCD TA 15 Center of Local Street
MUTCD TA 14 Haul Road Crossing
MUTCD TA 16 Survey in Center of Local
MUTCD TA 17 Mobile Operation on Local
MUTCD TA 18 Lane Closure Local
MUTCD TA 20 Detour Closed Local
MUTCD TA 28 Crosswalk Detour or Diversion
MUTCD TA 29 Crosswalk Closure and Pedestrian Detour


  • Lane closures are common during work in the Right-of-Way.  A traffic control plan is needed to close a lane in the roadway.  All lane closures are reviewed as part of the Right-of-Way permit process.

  • These kinds of activities can be done in the Right-of-Way for limited periods of time with a Right-of-Way permit.

  • When a complete Right-of-Way permit is submitted to the City, the City will review the permit and it’s contents within 3-5 working days.  It is recommended, to apply for a Right-of-Way permit a minimum of 2 weeks prior to the start of construction in order to avoid any delays.

  • The answer is “Yes” under specific criteria.  This criteria can be found in City Code Chapter 8-2-4.

  • The placement of mailboxes, newspaper receptacles and sales racks, the planting or removal of any tree or shrubbery, bike racks, planters, sidewalk sales by businesses, tables, benches and chairs adjacent to a duly licensed business, sandwich board signs, off-site signage in the right-of-way, kiosks owned by the City and campaign signs are not required to have a permit.  However, please note that while these uses are allowed without a permit, in many cases there are other rules and restrictions under which these activities may occur.  Please contact the Permit Center at 928-777-1269 for more information.

  • Any public street, highway, alley, sidewalk or other platted or written easement which has been dedicated to, or accepted by, or acquired by, the City for public purposes.

  • There is a $50 fee for a Right-of-Way permit.  Additional fees may apply if the work includes utility tapping, new water or sewer services, grading or erosion and sediment control measures.

  • A Right-of-Way permit is needed when an improvement is proposed in the Right-of-Way.  An improvement includes but is not limited to grading or re-grading, placing of base materials, paving or repaving, construction or reconstruction of any sidewalk, driveway approach, curb, curb and gutter, bike path, alley gutter or cross gutter, the placement of any bench or planter box or other solid object, traffic-control and protection devices, striping and fences, the planting or removal of any tree or shrubbery, the placing, relocating or transporting of any structure, excavations for the installation or repair of any sanitary sewer line, water line, gas line, electrical line, television cable, telephone line or appurtenant facilities, and the installation or repair of any storm drain, drainage structures or appurtenant facilities.

  • A registered contractor in the State of Arizona is required when working in the Right-of-Way unless the activity is listed as an exemption under City Code Chapter 8-2-4. There is more information regarding licensing requirements in the “Right-of-Way Application”.


Covid-19 Vaccine Clinic

Posted on January 11, 2022

Tuesday, January 25 1 pm – 3 pm Founders Suite on the 1st floor at Prescott Public Library Yavapai County Community Health Services (YCCHS) will be on site to provide COVID-19 Moderna 1st and 2nd dose vaccines and boosters. Please… Read more »

View the Latest